Sunday, May 18, 2014

Por Fin

We’ve done it, we’ve made it home:

To think that I spent the last six months in a third world country seems unreal. To look back on the time I passed there reality seems like a fantasy. Did I really meet new people, live with a new family, eat new foods, and learn new things? Yes. I did. And although right now it seems difficult to decipher my feelings I know that I have learned lessons that will change my life, have connected with three new sisters, and made memories that will last a lifetime. Thank you to everyone who has supported me financially and with prayer. I can never thank you enough! I will see you soon!
Kate

The time in STEP is now complete! It’s so crazy to think how fast the time actually went.  I’ve had a great time getting to know my three STEP sisters and mis Hermanos En Cristo de Honduras through this experience. We’ve been through good times and we’ve been through tough times, but we’ve grown closer through it all. I would much rather be in Honduras or some other country right now. I know that this time with family is needed right now in my life, so I’m going to spend time with them, find a job and volunteer my time in a Spanish speaking place in my community. During the time in Honduras, I’ve learned that I would like to be involved in long term missions overseas. Thank-You for supporting me through this time.
-Nicole.

Only 24 hours away from seeing my family: surreal. My teammates became my sisters, Honduras became my home, and Spanish speaking became a game that I was starting to understand (I always love a challenge!). Our first week back in the States has only given me a glimpse of what it’s going to look like to leave what became my life over the past six months. But you know what’s crazy? Leaving doesn’t mean leaving behind. I don’t have to leave behind my friends, I don’t have to leave behind the Spanish language, and I don’t have to leave behind this ministry lifestyle. I’ve met and grown close to many people throughout this time and I’ve learned a lot about myself, my world, and my creator. All these things have become a part of me—a part of me that I’m excited to share with my friends and family in my first home.
Brynne

We’ve finished quite an amazing adventure, said some hard goodbyes, and are preparing to part ways, but I’m a long way from home. I’ve four more days and three modes of transportation to get me back to “home.” The isolation of debrief has set me into a limbo of sorts and got me to thinking: what is home?
They say home is where the heart is, but if that’s the case, my heart is spread to the four winds, riding on wild horses and watching mountain sunrises, basking in the sun of my host brother’s smile, and dancing with the laughter of three amazing young women. It is still swimming in a volcanic lake and leaping under waterfalls. It still is caring for malnourished children and widows and orphans. For a while I was afraid I had left it behind. I was fortunate enough to come across this quote in our debrief reading, “until our hearts become knit with the people here, we will look back with longing.” It’s funny, really, because I once looked back to Texas with longing, but now the feelings are so fresh and raw from parting, that it is Honduras I miss. I haven’t yet had the opportunity to knit my life back into the lives of my friends and family. I still feel the love of Honduras and my sisters like a rope around me, pulling me back. Time. It is going to take time, something I’ve spent the last six months learning about.
Isaiah 40:31
Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they will raise on wings as eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not faint.
Kris


So, I commission you readers, family, and friends, be patient with us. Whether we’re dying to go home or dying to go back, or somewhere in between, we’re coming back with six months of experience under our belts and we’re different for it. The transition might be easy, it might be hard, but love us through it and our hearts will once more find themselves at home.

                                                                            then:
                                                             
                                                                               now:

                                                                and everything in between:












                                                         Bediciones del grupo STEP

No comments:

Post a Comment